Sunday, October 17, 2010

This Week at Liberty 10/18/2010

The intake total for the year is now 3052.
I had enough photos and stories to fill two updates this week, so this is really part 1 of the weekly update. I've included a lot of updates on some former patients with some newbies thrown in that presented themselves in such a way that I just had to include them. Not every story has a happy ending, but they are all part of what Liberty does on a daily basis...
Jan and Kristine assess an RTH from Pinal Wildlife Rescue .
Sometimes, there's just not enough magic...
Another rehabber to the south took in an injured red tail last week. The bird had been reportedly hit by a car and had a badly broken wing. When the bird arrived at Liberty, the injury was assessed and confirmed. Sadly, if the bird had gotten help soon after the accident occurred, it might have been able to be saved as the break was mid-shaft and appeared pin-able. As it was, the bone was dead several inches from the break and nothing could be done for her despite everyone's best efforts.
Burned barn owl is checked.
A soothing ointment is applied.
The barn owl with the electrically burned toes and feet continues to make slow steady progress. Although he has lost a few toes and some talons and may or may not be a candidate for release, as long as he retains some toes crucial to standing and killing prey, we have high hopes for his survival. As for now, a soothing topical is applied to his toes and he remains under close observation.
Jan and Donna assist with the goshawk.
Dr. Orr wraps the goshawk wing.
Dr. Orr kept a close watch on the goshawk that came in last week. The bird has a very bad break in a very bad place. For now, the wing is kept wrapped and the young bird is in a warm, quiet brooder. The location of the damage is critical as by USF&W regulations, a raptor's wing may not be amputated above the elbow, which is where the injury is on this bird.
Blood in the eyes is indicative of head trauma.
Another gunshot victim.
X-rays detected the pellet.
If you can't foot 'em, bite 'em!
Lots of GHO action during "Vet Night" last Tuesday... One bird presents blood in both eyes - evidence of head trauma. This is typical of collision damage, probably involving a car or a window. He'll go to the eye clinic this week. Another bird was X-rayed and this confirmed he was the victim of a gunshot as a pellet was discovered and then removed from his wing. All such incidents are reported to the proper authorities. The pellet itself is saved for possible evidence in any subsequent investigation.
A cooper's hawk is almost ready to go outside.
A little green heron has some wing problems.
A couple of new arrivals made the scene last week, including a nice looking cooper's hawk and a pretty little green heron. Both presented wing injuries of varying severity, with the cooper's doing well enough to be very near getting to "go outside" as with the GHO in the article above. The heron is not so far along in his treatment but with the wonderful care he's receiving, he has a good chance to make it.
Jan doesn't like the way it feels.
Small bones are involved.
A plastic splint is wrapped on.
This little kestrel was found by a lady in a bank parking lot. As the new Rescue/Transport volunteers are told, if someone in the public can pick up a bird, it probably needs help. She brought it to an exotic bird store in Mesa where Liberty took over. The female falcon has a broken wing (with some bad looking bruises around the break) but although the break felt "crunchy" to Jan, the wing was splinted and wrapped for the healing process to begin. The good news is the bird was fairly healthy when it was obtained and the break was very recent so her chances are at least 50/50.
This dark GHO with piercing eyes is ready to go outside.
Sharon makes an ID band.
Kristine helps apply the tag.

"Feel free to move about the enclosure!"
It's always encouraging when a bird has progressed in their treatment enough that they are transferred to an outside enclosure. This enables them to adjust to the ambient climate and to begin exercising flight muscles. This intermediate step is crucial to the rehabilitation process and is a good indication of how well a patient is doing. One very beautiful and very dark GHO graduated in this manner last week. Prior to the move, he was assessed, judged fit for the outside enclosure, and given an identifying band as there are several other owls in the same room. This guy seemed quite happy to get out of the inside cage and rejoin the real world with others of his species. If all goes well, his release will come soon.


Anonymous said...

Once again a great assemblage of photos of Liberty's Magic. Thanks Terry......Art

Bethany F said...

GREAT pics this week, Terry!
Also, I just adore Kristine! Just thought I'd let the world know! :-)